Whether it’s a Friday night with your mates around the barbeque or a post workout dinner for one, this is a technique every man must master for the perfect steak.
Follow these easy steps for a perfect steak that you and your guests won’t forget.
- Remove steak from the fridge 10-30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a frying pan or barbecue to medium-high heat.
(The steak should sizzle when it hits the heat.)
- Rub the steak with olive oil to prevent sticking and lightly season with salt
and pepper just before you put it in the pan.
- For rare cook a 2cm-thick piece of steak for 2-3 minutes each side,
for medium 4 minutes each side, and for well-done 5-6 minutes each side.
- Turn the steak only once and always use tongs to prevent the meat being pierced.
This will stop the meat from getting tough and dry.
- Now it’s time to check if it’s done. Press the centre with the tongs.
The steak will feel soft if it’s rare, springy and harder when its medium
and when it’s well done it should feel very firm.
- Transfer steak to a plate. To seal in the juices and keep the meat tender,
cover with foil and let the steak rest for a few minutes.
Source: Australian Good Taste Magazine